If you have an existing website and you want to add marketplace section to it, using a plugin instead of a classifieds theme is the way to go. Plugins typically offer less features than themes, but you can integrate them easier to your website.
Unfortunately, there are not so many WordPress classified plugins today and there are only a few free ones. In this list I have collected and provide a brief review of the best ones. If you know others which are not included here, please comment below.
Best Wordpress Classified Plugins
This is the list of the classified Wordpress plugins which let you to build a a standalone classified ads website or add a section to your existing website.
Most of the plugins here are free, but there are some premium ones as well.
If you know other plugins which should be mentioned here, please add it to this list.
AWPCP Classifieds is definitely the most popular plugin which has been downloaded over 200K times and rated over 4. It is continuously updated and more and more features are added. there are even some premium modules.
This plugin is a great tool to add an extra section to your existing website which can even make you money.
- A lot of features which help to monetize and customize the ads.
- Integrated notification system.
- Besides Paypal it supports 2checkout payment gateway.
- Several advertisement posting controls.
- Advertisers can customize the images in many ways.
- Lots other premium modules.
- It works fine with all sorts of themes.
This is another free plugin, but with pretty bad reviews. It has not been updated for some time now. Anyway, you can check out if it works for you.
This is maybe the second most popular free classified ads
plugin which is rated 3.5.
This is directory/classified system which uses custom taxonomies and posts.
We can customize it using CSS and there are a few integrated layouts.
We can modify the custom fields and it works fine with any themes.
- Full wysiwyg front end post editor
- Advertisement expiration time setting
- Google Maps
- Ads can be featured
- Free or paid submission
- Users can get in touch with each other
- Guests can also submit ads
- Notification system
- Automatic publishing/drafting/pending
Although, this is a directory plugin with some modifications we can use it to build a classifieds website.
This plugin is free, but it provides a tons of options and it is a highly rated one with over 100K downloads.
- Fully customizable form fields
- Accept payment for listings OR have free listings
- Allow for featured/sticky listings for an upgrade fee
- Create multiple fee plans, which can be assigned to categories for posting
- Support for reCAPTCHA to avoid spam listings
- Users who post can edit listings without access to WP dashboard
- SEO Friendly
- Rate businesses in your directory with Microformat support
- Display the location of the business (categories, search, details--now with custom map sizes) (Google Maps Module)
- Location based result filtering
- ZIP code radius searches
- Assign features to paid or sticky listing plans to give users incentive to upgrade
- Display Category Icons
- Manage attachments on listings (supports PDF, Text files, images)
This is a premium plugin from WPMUDEV and it is definitely the best one. It comes with all the options you will need to provide a section for the users whare they can sell or buy products online.
It can be used to build a standalone classified website, or with an existing, since it supports all kinds of themes.
Users can easily manage their ads, upload images and buyers and sellers can get in touch with each other simply.
It also supports Buddypress.
It comes with a flexible Paypal crediting system which supports multiply currency options. Users can even send credits as gifts.
It costs $19 if you are not the member of WPMUDEV yet.
This is a premium plugin which costs $25 and can be purchased on Codecanyon.
It is another put-of-the-box solution which lets us to turn Wordpress to a fully features classified ads website.
It supports free and paid advertising. You can ask fee for having better visibility in search results and/or on the category pages.
A very useful feature is that ads are held in unpublished state until payments are made and approved by the administrator.
- Works with any existing theme
- Front-end posting and post edit
- GoogleMaps with each Ad
- 3 operable models: Free, Payed or Optional (sponsored fee)
- PayPal ready
- Localization file (.PO) included
- Custom Widgets
- Fully Shorcoded
- Custom search
Framework is a full-featured, compact and quick to set up framework for creating link directories, business directories, classified ad listings, jobs, article directories, recipe lists and more.
This is a really flexible plugin which let us to create any type of directory. We can use for creating a business directory or real estate website but for classified one as well.
It costs $26, but based on over 350 customer reviews it is rated 4.5.
- Restrict ads by listings levels
- PayPal payment
- Frontend dashboard for regular users
- Sticky and featured listings options
- 5-star ratings for listings
- Customizable content fields of different types
- Category-based content fields
- Icons for categories
- SEO friendly
- Locations search in radius
- Google Maps integrated
- Custom map markers
- YouTube videos attachments for listings
- Adapted for reCaptcha
- Responsive design based on Twitter Bootstrap
- 5 shortcodes: directory, listings, maps, categories, search box
- 4 widgets: search widget, categories widget, listings widget, social accounts widget
- CSV import